KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner, Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, has made explosive allegations before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry, directly implicating Police Minister Senzo Mchunu in organised criminal networks. The stunning testimony has sparked national uproar and intensified scrutiny on the embattled minister, who is currently on leave.
Appearing under oath on Wednesday, Mkhwanazi made his most forceful statement yet:
“The absence-on-leave police minister is fully involved in the syndicate… Evidence is there on record.”
The Commissioner claimed that intelligence reports have repeatedly flagged Mchunu’s name in connection with syndicate activity involving senior police officials. Although he stopped short of revealing the specific details during the public session, Mkhwanazi asserted that the documentation has already been submitted to the commission.
“These are not rumours, and they are not opinions,” Mkhwanazi told the inquiry, chaired by retired Justice Madlanga. “The paper trail exists, and I am confident the commission will find it compelling.”
Commission Probes Political Meddling in Police
The Madlanga Commission was established to investigate allegations of political interference within law enforcement structures—especially relating to the controversial disbandment of the Political Killings Task Team in KwaZulu-Natal. This elite unit had been probing politically motivated assassinations in the province, many of which remain unresolved.
Mkhwanazi, a central witness in the inquiry, has repeatedly accused political figures of undermining law enforcement for personal and factional gain. His latest testimony marks the first time a sitting police minister has been directly linked to criminal syndicates under sworn testimony.
Mchunu, who has previously dismissed such claims as “wild and baseless,” has not yet issued a formal response to the latest allegations. His spokesperson has previously accused Mkhwanazi of holding a grudge and attempting to “settle scores under the guise of transparency.”
Calls for Immediate Suspension
In the wake of Mkhwanazi’s testimony, civil society organisations and opposition parties have demanded Mchunu’s immediate suspension from office pending the commission’s findings.
“Minister Mchunu must step aside while these allegations are investigated. You cannot have a police minister implicated in the very crime networks the police are supposed to dismantle,” said Thandi Maseko, a spokesperson for Corruption Watch SA.
The Democratic Alliance and the Economic Freedom Fighters have both issued statements echoing calls for Mchunu to be suspended, warning that his continued presence—even while on leave—undermines public trust in the police.
Political Fallout and Security Cluster Tensions
The claims have also highlighted mounting tensions within the country’s security cluster. Experts say the implications of Mkhwanazi’s testimony could be far-reaching if substantiated.
“If these allegations hold up under cross-examination, we are looking at one of the most serious corruption scandals involving a sitting minister in democratic South Africa,” said Professor Themba Dlamini, a political analyst at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
“However, we must remember that these claims are currently untested. The public should be cautious and allow the commission to complete its work.”
A Nation Waits
The Commission is expected to summon Minister Mchunu in the coming days to respond directly to the allegations. Legal experts say he may also face criminal investigation depending on the outcome of the inquiry.
Meanwhile, attention now turns to whether the government, and President Cyril Ramaphosa in particular, will take decisive action in light of the serious nature of the claims. Thus far, the Presidency has remained silent.
As the hearings continue, the country is bracing for more revelations that could shake public confidence in law enforcement and governance to its core. For Minister Mchunu, the coming days may well determine the fate of his political career—and perhaps more.
