A 43-year-old man from Pietermaritzburg has refused to bury his father, leaving the body unclaimed in a government mortuary since early January 2026.
Zakhele Cindi told Newzroom Afrika that his father abandoned him during childhood and subjected him to alleged abuse. Before his death, the father also obtained a protection order against Cindi. These experiences have led Cindi to reject responsibility for the burial. He described his father as absent and neglectful, providing no support to him, his mother, or siblings.
The case highlights broader challenges in KwaZulu-Natal. The KZN Portfolio Committee on Health reports that 500 to 600 unclaimed bodies are currently held in government mortuaries. This figure reflects ongoing issues of family estrangement, poverty, and administrative hurdles in claiming remains.
Reporter Silethiwe Ndlovu interviewed Cindi at his home in Copesville. Cindi stood firm, stating he will not collect the body despite the passage of time. The decision has sparked public discussion on filial duty, trauma from parental neglect, and the emotional toll of broken families.
Some community members acknowledge Cindi’s pain, noting his difficult upbringing. Others debate cultural expectations around burial. Cindi’s situation underscores the need for support systems addressing fatherlessness and family reconciliation.
As the body remains in storage, authorities face mounting pressure from unclaimed cases. Cindi’s stance, rooted in personal history, adds a human dimension to provincial statistics. Healing and accountability remain critical in such complex matters.
Zakhele Cindi from Pietermaritzburg says he stands firm on his decision of not burying his father. Earlier this week, the 43-year-old told Newzroom Afrika that his father’s body has been in a government mortuary since the beginning of January. The decision not to collect the body… pic.twitter.com/qNFHxbeuPo
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) February 21, 2026
