A dramatic turn unfolded at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Tuesday when one of the five men accused of murdering former Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa mentioned the name of top police official, General Shadrack Sibiya, during proceedings.
The unexpected revelation came as the accused, Bongani Ntanzi, took the stand for the first time, alleging that he had been coerced into signing a confession under duress. Ntanzi claimed that senior officers, including General Sibiya, had been aware of his alleged mistreatment during the interrogation process.
According to Ntanzi, the confession was obtained after “prolonged beatings and threats” by investigating officers who, he said, wanted him to implicate himself and his co-accused at all costs. “I was told that if I refused to sign the papers, worse would happen to me. The officers said General Sibiya wanted results,” Ntanzi testified, prompting murmurs in the courtroom.
General Shadrack Sibiya, currently serving as the head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) in Gauteng, has not been accused of any wrongdoing. However, his name being mentioned in such a high-profile case raised eyebrows, given the sensitivity of the ongoing trial.
State prosecutor Advocate George Baloyi immediately objected to the mention of Sibiya’s name, describing it as “irrelevant and misleading.” Baloyi insisted that the focus of the proceedings should remain on the admissibility of the confessions and not on external allegations. Judge Ratha Mokgoatlheng allowed the testimony to continue but cautioned the defence to stick to matters directly related to the trial.
The defence team argued that the alleged involvement of senior officers went to the heart of whether the confessions were voluntarily made. “Our client’s rights were violated, and the atmosphere of intimidation was sanctioned by those in authority,” said defence counsel Advocate Thulani Mngomezulu.
The Meyiwa family, who attended the hearing, appeared visibly shaken by the latest development. Family spokesperson Sifiso Meyiwa said outside court that they wanted “truth and justice,” regardless of who might be implicated.
General Sibiya’s office later released a brief statement saying he was “unaware of any such claims” and reaffirming confidence in the legal process. “The General has not been called to testify or respond to any allegations. The matter remains before court, and we respect due process,” it read.
The trial continues this week as the court hears more testimony on the controversial confessions at the centre of the long-running murder case.
