The murder trial of footballer Senzo Meyiwa continued on Monday at the Pretoria High Court, where the first accused, Muzi Sibiya, faced more questions from the state prosecutor, Advocate George Baloyi.
During the cross-examination, Sibiya made a surprising claim. He told the court that after he was beaten and arrested by police, a top police officer, Deputy Police Commissioner General Shadrack Sibiya, was present at the place where he was assaulted in Chloorkop. This statement created tension in court as many were shocked to hear a high-ranking police name mentioned.
Baloyi asked Sibiya to explain what really happened during his arrest. Sibiya said he was attacked by several people before he was handcuffed and taken away. He said the police never searched him at that time but later told him that he would be charged for dealing with drugs. Sibiya said he never had any drugs with him and could not understand where that story came from. He told the court that the police simply made up the charge after taking him to Tembisa.
He also spoke about his cellphone. According to him, the police never took it when he was arrested. He said his uncle went to the police station later and took the phone home. When Baloyi asked what he would say if someone claimed the phone was taken during his arrest, Sibiya replied that such a person would not be telling the truth because he found his phone at home later.
The prosecutor told the court that Sibiya’s former lawyer did not object when the state claimed that the cellphone was taken during his arrest. Sibiya explained that this was the reason he wanted to speak for himself in court and tell his side of the story.
The court also heard that Sibiya’s phone number and pictures were found on the phone of another accused, Bongani Ntanzi. Sibiya said his phone was sometimes used by other family members at home, and he did not know how his pictures ended up on another person’s phone. This led to a short disagreement in court between lawyers over how the evidence was being presented.
Sibiya ended his testimony by saying his father was deeply shocked when he returned home to KwaZulu-Natal and learned that he had been beaten and accused of killing Senzo Meyiwa. The courtroom remained tense as the trial continued, with many waiting to see what will happen next.




















