Kaizer Chiefs could face Mamelodi Sundowns and Pitso Mosimane’s Al Ahly in the CAF Champions League group stage ahead of tomorrow’s draw at the CAF headquarters in Cairo, Egypt.
In what is expected to be a baptism of fire in their first foray into the group stage of Africa’s elite club competition, Chiefs are placed in Pot 4 alongside fellow debutants Teungueth from Senegal.
After a memorable first round which saw last season’s semi-finalists Raja Casablanca dumped out by the Senegalese champions, the 16 teams have been placed into four pots to be drawn into four groups tomorrow.
The seeding is based on the five-year CAF ranking system, which is based on performances in the Champions League and Confederation Cup.
This favours Mosimane’s Ahly, who hold the most points (69) meaning they cannot be drawn with Wydad Casablanca, Esperance and TP Mazembe, who also hold a place in Pot 1.
However, Ahly could be drawn with both Sundowns and Chiefs as there are no restrictions against two clubs from the same country being drawn into the same group.
Each group will be played in a round-robin format with home and away ties, with the winners and runners-up advancing to the quarter-finals of the competition.
Matchday one will take place between 12-13 February and the final group games are currently scheduled for 9-10 April.
Live Stream Will Be Available Here on our: YouTube Channel
- Al Ahly SC (Egypt) – 69pts
- Wydad Casablanca (Morocco) – 65pts
- Espérance de Tunis (Tunisia) – 63pts
- TP Mazembe (DR Congo) – 63pts
- Zamalek SC (Egypt) – 54pts
- Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) – 49pts
- Horoya AC (Guinea) – 38pts
- AS Vita Club (DR Congo) – 23pts
- Al Hilal (Sudan) – 21.5pts
- Petro de Luanda (Angola) – 12pts
- Simba SC (Tanzania) – 12pts
- MC Alger (Algeria) – 7pts
- Al Merrikh (Sudan) – 4pts
- CR Belouizdad (Algeria)
- Teungueth (Senegal)
- Kaizer Chiefs (South Africa)