South Africa’s favourite couple has spoken out for the first time since their proposal video at fast food outlet KFC went viral.
Hector Mkansi and Nonhlanhla Soldaat who officially got married in 2012 have been receiving pledges from brands across SA to help fund their wedding after their heartwarming video broke the internet.
However this will not be the couple’s first matrimonial service. According to the groom the upcoming ceremony will be their second.
Explaining the timeline of events, the groom had this to say:
* They met and fell in love in 2010
* In 2011, the lobola negotiations began
* In 2012 they got married in a ceremony
* Lived together till last year 2018 then took out remainder of lobola money.
* Pressure from the church led to them having a formal wedding but not quite what they had envisioned.
* Groom bought her rings but wasn’t quite satisfied with them
* “I don’t work so I didn’t have enough cash to give wife Nonhlanhla a befitting wedding/jewellery but wanted to do something small”
* Skip to this week, “I decided to come to KFC to give her a small surprise with a meal”
* “Didn’t tell family anything; wanted it to be a complete surprise with everyone”
* “Team members at KFC helped to bring food with ring. Then I went on my knees with everyone surrounding us”
* Nonhlanhla (bride): I was totally surprised by the paper wrapped ring/s
In a statement released to iReport SA News, the love birds who got engaged on Wednesday say they are overwhelmed by the support and would like privacy while they process the day’s events.
South Africa plans a wedding
Some of the gifts that streamed in for the couple included the following:
- Castle Lite offered the couple a honeymoon with all flights and accommodation included
- Clark & Sons sponsored 40 cases of their legendary mixers for the wedding day
- SA singer, Langa Mavuso offered to sing at the wedding
- Siwela Wines said they would like to sponsor some of their best range of MMC and wines
- An anonymous Radio 702 listener who did not want to be named, gave R10 000 to the couple
- FNB are giving R5 000 in a Gold Cheque Account
- Takealot has give them a R5 000 voucher
- Sun City, to celebrate their engagement, offered them a weekend stay at the resort
- Amstel Lager and StrongbowSA are supplying the couple with cases
- The Lifestyle Tourist announced that their honeymoon would be a two night stay at the AM Lodge in Limpopo
- Telkom offered a sim with Freeme data so that they can always stay connected
- Total South Africa offered to fuel their next adventure
- DRUM Magazine offered them a two page spread to tell their amazing love story
- Bohlokwa Bahlekazi offered free decor services for the big day
- Joe Human offered on the house wedding cards/invitations to be designed
- Billy Dlamini offered his and hers rings worth R45 000
- Audi South Africa said they would drive them to their honeymoon
- Puma South Africa said they each deserve R10 000 off in-store
- Huawei will give them each a device to capture memorable moments
- Roadtrippers Travel will give an all expenses paid holiday to Mozambique in 2020
- Gqom fashion SA gifted the couple a blue Volkswagen Polo
- Liberty Group have offered R10 000 into a tax-free savings account and a free financial planning session
- 1Life Insurance gave them a R10 000 life investment
- Durex offered something special for behind closed doors
- Koo offered groceries to the value of R20 000
- DEFY appliances to the value of R20 000
- Black Coffee offered to pay for their suit and dress
This doesn’t scratch the service of everything that has been offered to the sweet couple on social media but we think they deserve every last bit of it.