Other Sources Of Funding Apart From NSFAS

You have worked hard to get those distinctions in matric, just to found out at the beginning of the year that NSFAS has not accepted your application despite you having applied early, submitted the required documents, and filled the form at the best of your ability.

Don’t worry and beat yourself down, below are some of the other funding methods to support you through this financially tiring journey known as tertiary education.

Internal funding from your varsity

UJ, for example, offers Merit Bursaries. It is awarded based on APS scores for first-year students, and one’s previous academic year results for returning students. So, check it out at the student finance office before the second semester start.

The money you will receive from your varsity will be deposited into your tuition account and depends on the results mentioned above, meaning the better your marks, the more money is awarded to you.

Some tertiary institutions also have scholarships.

External bursaries

These are excluding all the merit bursaries and scholarships from your institution of study.

Bursaries usually consider financial need, demand excellent marks and the beneficiary to work for the sponsor after studying. They are non-repayable.

Depending on the available allocated funds of a bursary, various expenses (tuition fees, books, accommodation, study materials) of student life can be covered. But a must for most is the tuition fees.

Furthermore, make sure you know what a bursary covers before signing any agreements, according to GRAD, a booklet for tertiary students. For the fact that you will need to work for you sponsor, try your best to obtain a bursary from an entity that will facilitate your growth.

A part-time job on- or off-campus


Your campus theatre can be employing people for this year. A stationery or food shop in the campus centre may be looking for more manpower. Or a private tutoring company needs several tutors, and in other instance, your department may be seeking for a student assistant.


Look around for all these options of employment, which are on- and off-campus, to have a consistent stream of income that will help you pay (part of) your fees. The other part can be settled by your guardian, a merit bursary or even a bank loan.



Learnerships take about 12 to 24 months to complete, get a registered qualification and possibly end up with a secured employment. But it is only offered for people between the ages of 16 and 60.


They are good for those who prefer the theory-meets-practical alternative. From this option, some of the gains include knowledge, skills and workplace experience.

Facebook Comments

Staff Writer